Thursday, June 23, 2011

So, I'm writing...




Good day to you Bloggers,



It's been a stressful few weeks at work--what with all the sex scandals--and to counter attack my nerves I've was in a chugging-beer mode when I got home at the end of the day. I hadn't written anything in a month and what'd ya know? Catch a beer buzz equals writing great scenes.



Now, there is only a certain amount of time in which this is possible. A good, clear beer-buzz only lasts about an hour maybe two...after that..well your brain gets foggy and you start thinking about nachos. It's important to bust out a scene or two within this time frame, which is what I was doing.


During the allotted beer-buzz hour for writing I discovered that a few of my "mutated animals" were actually shape-shifters and my main character is really good with a pipe wrench in a fight. Along with this welcome juiciness, I was having fun. Yes, FUN. It was the first time in a long time that I was having a blast writing. I'm always so concerned with how everything will pull together. Is this a crappy character? Should I have aliens abduct someone? No one is going to read this crap EVER! This is my normal thought process but thanks to a couple cans of beers, those concerns fell away and I had the best time ever with my characters.


However, now I know how artists become alcoholics, users and hippies. They're always looking for a release from themselves and their worries so that they can reach a clearer level with their art; whatever it may be.



So in honor of FUN writing and losing yourself in the world you created...HAVE A BEER! Or Drink some wine...or whatever it is that floats your boat. Even if the writing comes out crap-hole, at least you'll let go long enough to remember that its fun to write when you stop caring so much!

I'd like to take this time to thank Coors Light. Thank you for the shape-shifter I wrote about and the girl with the prosthetic leg who little did she know would save my main character from a collapsing roof.






Have you ever drank and wrote? What was your outcome? Good or bad?

5 comments:

  1. I AM drinking a beer right now though I dunno if I feel like writing. It's great you were able to type a few scenes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never liked alcohol very much, so I rarely drink it. That's why on the rare occasions I do drink I get tipsy/drunk really fast, even if I've had just one drink. So on those occasions I'm not really capable of writing so much as just talking really fast for some reason.
    I do like drinking mocha-flavored coffee when I write. It keeps me alert and the chocolate keeps me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to see if I've fixed the problem yet and leave you astonishingly good comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it once, and it didnt help me at all. I can see how it would help with unleashing the imagination, though- maybe it is worth another try!

    Www.summerjarviswrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking for your contact info for a book review/post?
    Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete